Hey, we are doing a video competition.
What is it about?
We are looking for an „official music video” for each song from the album The Wrong Girl by Moira Waugh. In total, we have 13 Songs waiting to be paired with visuals. You can use any style you like to create the video (i.e. live actors, stop motion, CGI, animated cartoon, etc.). The main criterion is that it must be related to the lyrics and music.
What you have to do: Easy
Listen to the songs on the album here, pick and download (free) one song you want to use to create a music video, and let us know that you’d like to participate by giving us your contact details and song selection here.
We will reduce the list of songs available for this contest as they are picked by participants. So you better hurry up. If you are going to submit more than one video, just follow the same procedure again. In the event that all songs have been selected, we will repost the full list of songs for the next round of participants.
Any Questions about the procedure? Ask here: Ask your question
What are the prizes:
$500 cash for the winner
$300 for the second winner
$200 for the third winner
$100 for each „official music video” selection (apart from the winning ones)
Aside from the prizes – what does everyone participating win:
Every winning video will be published with your credits on Thinkroot Records YouTube channel. If you’re not a selected winner, you can publish the video on your prefered platform (music credits must be included and no monetization or advertisements are allowed).
So it will be public anyhow and will be good for your own reputation. We will tweet about your work and if you submit more details about you personally, such as your Facebook page/website, we will link those details too.
Additionally, you’ll hopefully have fun doing the video.
Submit your entry on the submission page where you can give us the link to your video and additional details. It could be an unlisted YouTube link, wetransfer, dropbox or any link to a storage service where we can grab the video. Please read the requirements below. The video will be put on YouTube – so you must comply with their standards. We will check this prior to judging – so please make sure you do not disqualify yourself. ;-).
Please allow us to confirm through email what stage you are at with making the music video. This will allow us to extend the chance to participate to others in case you are not going to make it in time.
The video maker must submit a link to the final video that is on YouTube to Thinkroot Records no later than midnight (GMT) April 30, 2016. For help on uploading videos to YouTube see their FAQ section – or contact us if you prefer a different submission channel.
Entrant must comply with all terms, conditions, and registration requirements of the video contest (see below). The Entrant must be 18+ years to receive a prize or, if under 18 years, must name a legal representative whom we can contact prior to the winner selection.
Winners will be notified and must execute final releases and information requests prior to payment of the prizes. Failure to do so will void the award.
Video submission requirements:
- Videos submitted must fit the length of the song you have selected in duration with the option to add no more than 30 seconds for final credits.
- Videos must have a resolution suitable for large screen projection (1920 by 1080 pixels). Videos not achieving suitable resolution will be disqualified.
- No copyrighted material may be used. If you use material based on Creative Commons licenses, full attribution must be in the final credits in the video itself AND in your video description. Only material with CC BY or CC0 (Public Domain) licenses may be used when using Creative Commons licensed material.
- The videos cannot contain content that violates the submission standards of YouTube
- Videos submitted must be uploaded to YouTube as unlisted videos. If you do not have a Google Account please contact us (siobhan dot dakay at one-song dot de) we will find a way for you to submit.
- The song title and artist must be included in the credits (i.e. Music: Here They Come Again by Moira Waugh) and in the video title (i.e. Here They Come Again by Moira Waugh – Music Video).
- Written credits for key technical and talent positions should be provided to us (i.e., director, cinematographer, editor, writer, actors), including any footage sources. On-screen credits for technical and talent positions are not required but welcome. If on-screen credits are included, they should be listed on one screen at the end, trailer-style, and not rolling for minutes as they would at the end of a feature.
- Videos submitted should include the copyright CC BY-NC (4.0)
Judges: Moira Waugh, Siobhan Dakay and Thinkroot Records will be judging the competition. We will be honest but fair. We (the judges) will be the sole arbiters deciding which video maker(s) are selected as award winners. A maximum of one (1) video will be selected per song and the video makers will be notified of the awards. An announcement of the winners will be made on May 7th, 2016.
Criteria: Entries will be judged based on creativity, technical merit, adherence to contest requirements, and on how well they manage to convey the lyrics and music. These are clearly subjective categories and will be treated as such. The final awards will be selected based solely on the judges’ consensus.
Online Distribution: No videos may be posted with public access anywhere prior to the contest. When posting on YouTube, you must choose the unlisted setting for your video. After the judging, video makers are free to post their video anywhere they desire as long as they do not put monetization or advertisements of any kind on the video. The video may never be used for monetary purposes.
Disqualification: The judges reserve the right to disqualify any team, contributor, entrant, or entered video that does not comply with the rules and other Contest requirements communicated by us.
Eligibility: Open for everyone.
ADDITIONAL TERMS – BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY:
- Entrant keeps all rights and ownership to the video, title, interest and claim (including without limitation all copyrights), which it now has or may have in the future, to entries (including, without limitation, the submitted video). The entrant does not obtain the rights to the music at any time (beyond using it for this contest). Thinkroot Records has the right to use, publish, exploit any entry and/or video submitted on their YouTube channel (with no commercial interest or advertising), websites, and social media.
- By entering, Entrant agrees to defend, release and hold harmless Thinkroot Records and its agents from and against any claims, action and/or liability for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from Entrant’s participation herein (including in connection with the use and/or exploitation of the submitted video) or from the acceptance or use of any prize awarded. Thinkroot Records reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of the winner.
- Entrants grants Thinkroot Records the right to use their names, images, likenesses, photographs, voices and biographical materials (of which you have submitted to us) and video submissions, for advertising, publicity and promotion purposes including posting the videos or screen names online for any purpose or on a winner’s list and other online announcements, and for sharing the videos with the media for viewing, whether TV or print, without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law (US law). Neither entrants nor winner shall receive any compensation or credit for use of entries, other than that disclosed in these rules. Entrants agree that if selected as a winner, they grant Thinkroot Records and its designees the right to film and later publish footage of the winner.
- Thinkroot Records is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate transcription of entry information, or for any human or other error, technical malfunctions, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software, inability to access any online service or web site, or any other error or malfunction, or any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation herein, or for any injury to person or property, including but not limited to video equipment, arising from the entrant’s participation herein or for the use or misuse of any prize won. Thinkroot Records is not responsible for lost, late, illegible or misdirected entries or mail.
- Entrant warrants that their submission is original, that publication of the submission will not infringe on the rights of others, and Entrant has full power to grant usage to Thinkroot Records as stated herein.
- Thinkroot Records has no obligation of any nature to publish, promote, display or otherwise use any information provided by Entrants, including but not limited to biographical or video content.
- All taxes are the responsibility of the winners.
Can I submit more than one music video? Yes, but you can win one prize maximum.
Does other information (e.g., resume or personal statement) need to accompany the submission itself?
No, but we may ask for it if your video is selected as a winner. We would use it to promote your video on our Youtube channel, websites, and social media..
Can I change the music to fit the video I am creating? No, please do not change the music in any way. Remixes are not accepted for this competition. However, if you would like to add sound effects that complement the scene you’re creating, you are welcome to do so.
Are we allowed to get someone to lipsynch the song or you prefer a filmeo type of music video?
Everything you like to do is allowed. Lipsync sounds like a fantastic idea
When uploading, do we need to upload the highest resolution possible?
We do not need the RAW format of the video but it would be nice to have it in HD. Bare in mind that youtube will compress the video additionally once it is uploaded by us. It is up to you what quality you like to deliver. It should be 1920×1040.
Can I add no more than 30 seconds of something other than the final credits?
The credits should not extend the 30 Second limit. If you have an idea for the intro or the outro you can add that….sure…please keep in mind that it is a music video requested….so the extension should be in a digestible range.
About this Song:
Moira: Dusk is my favourite time of day, when the world seems to pause while the blackbird sings his pure, crystalline notes and the sun relinquishes the sky to the moon and stars.
Siobhan: A pretty simple setup with piano, horns, strings and a flute representing the crystalline notes from the blackbird song. The musicbox at the end is like a nice lullaby. Sleep well.
Blackbird, sing into the fading light
Here in the dusk, dividing day and night
Each note so pure and clear
As one by one the silent stars appear
Blackbird, don’t fly away too soon
But raise your voice to the falling sun
And the rising moon
Shadows stretch and the light grows old
Blackbird’s throat is lined with gold
Love and hope hold sway
While we’re under the gaze of the Milky Way
Oh Blackbird, don’t leave me too soon
But sing your song to the shy little stars
And the smiling moon
But sing that song to the shy little stars
And the smiling moon
Lyrics: Moira Waugh
Composition: Moira Waugh, Siobhan Dakay
Arrangement: Siobhan Dakay
Mix: Siobhan Dakay
Mastering: Christoph Stickel